Skip to main content

Monday, March 30, 2020


Read John 11:38-44.
This passage is a true story. I know that. But it is so powerful to think about the allegorical applications of it as well. For example, there is a barrier between each of us and the new life that Christ calls us to. For Lazarus it was a literal stone. For us it is sin, pride, and an unwillingness to yield ourselves to the authority of someone else. Lazarus was also tangled in his grave clothes until someone set him free. We are tangled in the issues of life, family, career and now coronavirus, that we may find ourselves unable to walk forward in faith in total freedom. My application today focuses on issues such as these. How about you?


Comments

  1. I think the solution lies in the nature of God. Yes, we are tangled in issues, even when things are not as unusually "tangled" as they are now. But even as our lives change...God is the same.

    I'm reminded of the words of the hymn:

    Change and decay in all around I see—
    O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, February 28, 2020

Read James 1:2-15. One of the greatest challenges I face is seeing the trials that I face as assets. It is through those trials – difficult and distressing as they may be – that my faith becomes stronger. In them I learn to trust in God’s providence and His promises. So today, instead of grumbling or bemoaning, I want to ask:   “God, what can I learn today? How can I grow?”

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Read John 15:1-17. The phrase from this passage that stands out the most to me is found in verse 15: “I no longer call you servants … instead I have called you friends.” This speaks to me of a different kind of God – a God who desires a relational connection to each of us. That echoes throughout the passage, of course, with the imagery of branches connected to the vine. But to be considered a friend of Jesus is a far more intimate image for me. As with any friendship, I need to cultivate that friendship, spending time with Him, talking to Him, listening to Him. That’s my goal today.

Friday, March 27, 2020

Read Proverbs 3:5-6. Some of the greatest wisdom is found in these verses. And some of the greatest understanding comes out of reflecting upon the question: How am I to trust God in the midst of uncertainty? How am I to completely and fully depend, not upon myself, but on the provision, the peace, and the protection of God?     How might you acknowledge God today so that the path of God might be clear for you in the days ahead?