Skip to main content

Good Friday, April 10, 2020


Read Matthew 16:25-28.
I’ve always wondered why Good Friday is called good. In my pondering, I’m  reminded of what Paul said to the church in Rome: For we know that in all  things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called  according to his purpose (Romans 8:28). While everything that happens to us may not be good, the power of God through the gospel of Jesus Christ will turn it around for our good and for the glory of His name.    

Do you want to save your life? Then lose it. Do you want to lose your life? Then find it. Good Friday is good because what seems to be lost is only about to be found when the rock of the tomb is rolled away.    

Comments

  1. Romans 8:28 is the verse I have clung to for most of my adult life. It has helped me to trust God through everything He has given me and taken away.

    God was not lost on Good Friday - we were. But it had to happen so that we could be found again, tucked safe in the arms of the Father.

    Like the "Footprints" prayer -

    My child, my precious child. I love you and I would never leave you. When you saw only one set of footprints...it was then that I carried you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, February 28, 2020

Read James 1:2-15. One of the greatest challenges I face is seeing the trials that I face as assets. It is through those trials – difficult and distressing as they may be – that my faith becomes stronger. In them I learn to trust in God’s providence and His promises. So today, instead of grumbling or bemoaning, I want to ask:   “God, what can I learn today? How can I grow?”

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Read John 15:1-17. The phrase from this passage that stands out the most to me is found in verse 15: “I no longer call you servants … instead I have called you friends.” This speaks to me of a different kind of God – a God who desires a relational connection to each of us. That echoes throughout the passage, of course, with the imagery of branches connected to the vine. But to be considered a friend of Jesus is a far more intimate image for me. As with any friendship, I need to cultivate that friendship, spending time with Him, talking to Him, listening to Him. That’s my goal today.

Friday, March 27, 2020

Read Proverbs 3:5-6. Some of the greatest wisdom is found in these verses. And some of the greatest understanding comes out of reflecting upon the question: How am I to trust God in the midst of uncertainty? How am I to completely and fully depend, not upon myself, but on the provision, the peace, and the protection of God?     How might you acknowledge God today so that the path of God might be clear for you in the days ahead?